Miss Marple Stories
The Origins of Miss Marple
The elderly spinster Jane Marple appears in 12 full length novels and a further 20 short stories. The first of these was Murder at The Vicarage published in 1930 although the character had appeared some three years before in a short story published in a magazine.
Agatha Christie herself seemed quite surprised at the emergence of a sleuth to rival that of Hercule Poirot and suggested that the character had begun to form in her mind from one of the characters in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, namely the spinster sister of Dr. Sheppard.
There was also a little of Agatha's grandmother in Jane Marple and in particular her almost uncanny ability to predict bad events. Finally, there was inspiration from who she described as "my grandmother's Ealing cronies"; the elderly women who were part of her mother's social circle.
The full list of Marple novels:
- Murder at The Vicarage publsihed in 1930
- The Body in the Library published in 1942
- The Moving Finger published in 1943
- A Murder is Announced published in 1950
- They Do it with Mirrors published in 1952 ( Also known as Murder with Mirrors)
- A Pocket Full of Rye published in 1953
- 4.50 from Paddington published in 1957 ( Also known as What Miss Mcgillicuddy Saw)
- The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side published in 1962 (Also known as The Mirror Crack'd)
- A Caribbean Mystery published in 1964
- At Bertram's Hotel published in 1965
- Nemesis published in 1971
- Sleeping Murder written around 1940 but published in1976
Check availability and rates at our Self Catering Accommodation in Torquay for your Agatha Christie break.
If you are interested in visitng Agatha Christie's Torquay and are looking for places to stay we have a range of self catering accommodation in Torquay from which all the key points on The Agatha Christie Mile can be reached. Click on the panels on this page to see more details and to chck availability and rates and to book.
Or call us on 01803 292958 or 0791 905 1066
In these difficult times, you can book your break away in Agatha Christie's Torquay with confidence.
We offer optional Booking Protect Refund Protection, a lockdown guarantee should you be prevented from travel and Covid Safe accredited accommodation.
The Bedford House Apartments have an unbeatable location close to Torquay harbour and town centre
A luxury duplex style apartment just a stone's throw from one of Agatha Christie's favourite beaches.
A spacious and luxury two bedroom apartment in the Wellswood area of Torquay.
Luxury accommodation in a peaceful area of Torquay which makes an ideal base from which to explore all that The English Riviera has to offer.